Saturday, May 08, 2010

Cutting together the 1st Episode...

Hi everyone,

I've been working hard cutting together the 1st Episode of my Reality Web Series, BECOMING MAGNUM with my Editor Diane Fraser.

While taking Gary Goldstein's "Scaling The Great Wall Of Hollywood Course," he told me to make sure I had a finished product to give to Brian Grazer when I meet him.

I found a small investor who gave me money $2,500 to get this done. The first thing I did was to buy a Mac Book so that I could help review all of the footage, and then do a Pre-Edit for my Editor, to help save myself money. The Mac Book cost me $800. I also bought 2 External Hard Drives totalling 2.5 TB and cost another $200. Leaving me $1,500 to finish the 1st Episode.

I'm so incredibly glad that I did this. I went through 8 hours of footage that we had shot, and cut it down to 1:11:18 seconds and took it over to my Editor.

I then realized that I am going to need to learn how to Market my Reality Web Series on the Internet. So I signed up for an Internet Marketing for Filmmaker's Online Course which cost another $500.

That left me with $1,000. I gave $50 to my Web Designer, and another $100 for Web Hosting for my Main site, and all of the different sites attached to it. That leaves me with $850 for my Editor.

She then called me up, and had me come back over, and we went through some of the footage, and she had me go back and write a Script based on all of the dialogue within the footage so that we can find the heart of each scene, and the overall story that I want to tell in the Episode.

I did, and it took me about 2 days to go through all of the footage, and write out the script. It was an amazingly powerful experience. I went back over to Diane's with the Script, and now I have to figure out and write Voice Over/Narration for the Opening and Closing of each segment of the Episode.

Which I'm currently in the process of doing right now.

I have also found out about www.producedbyconference.com from Leanne at Cineworks, in which Brian Grazer will be one of the speakers, and it would be a great place for me to meet him. They also accept Submissions for Webisodes from Independents such as myself, and they are giving away a $30,000.00 Grand Prize to go towards Production. As an Actor, it's also a great place for me to be to meet the Top Producer's in Hollywood and begin building relationships with them now.

OPEN CALL FOR ENTRIES
  • Narrative Shorts

    Films must be under 40 minutes (open to close) and be narrative in form.

  • Documentary Shorts

    Documentary shorts under 40 minutes.

  • Webisodes

    Independent Webisodes. Entrants must submit a minimum of THREE webisodes to demonstrate overall continuous storyline. Individual webisodes must be no longer than 6 minutes each.

  • Studio Webisodes

    Studio and network-made webisodes. A studio webisode constitutes a webisode backed by a studio, network, TV show, or production. For example, "Lost" webisodes produced by Universal. Entrants must submit a minimum of THREE webisodes to demonstrate overall continuous storyline. Individual webisodes must be no longer than 6 minutes each and must be original material created specifically for the web.

MISSION & OBJECTIVE

The Producers Challenge is intended to promote the work of emerging storytellers, spotlighting producers who demonstrate outstanding promise in their respective fields. In so doing, we aim to deliver exciting new projects to a wider audience and expand the reach of the entertainment community to include the next generation of great producers. Producing is a holistic craft; there is no facet of production a true professional does not touch. Accordingly, submissions will be judged in their entirety, as cohesive and self-contained pieces of storytelling. Juror considerations may include—but are not limited to—originality of creative vision, quality of production values, and inventiveness in the face of narrative challenges or technical constraints.

ABOUT THE FESTIVAL

The 2nd Annual PRODUCERS CHALLENGE contest is being presented in concert with the 2nd Annual PRODUCED BY CONFERENCE, an extraordinary gathering of top producing talent in film, television and new media. New and emerging producers are encouraged not only to submit to the contest, but register for the multitude of seminars, discussions and special events that have made the Conference the destination for the producing community this summer.

The Producers Challenge presents finalists in each of four categories: narrative short films, documentary short films, independent webisodes, and studio webisodes. With finalists to be selected by a jury of renowned producers, the Challenge offers storytellers a chance to have their work screened for an audience drawn from every corner of the entertainment industry, with winners receiving not only a complimentary registration to the entire conference program, but an opportunity for connection and mentoring with acclaimed professionals such as Marshall Herskovitz, Gale Anne Hurd, and many more.

The prizes this year are better than ever! Each winner will receive a MAKE YOUR NEXT Short Film Package totaling $30k in services for EACH WINNER. Just bring your DP and editor and Equilibrium Entertainment will provide consulting on pre-production, camera and audio gear, production van, a small crew, edit facilities, audio mixing, graphics and titling and MORE. Get details on the equipment winners will have access to use.

Other prizes will include a private mentoring lunch with a top producer like Gale Ann Hurd, Mark Gordon or Marshall Herskovitz, full budgeting and scheduling software packages from Entertainment Partners and an all-session badge to the 2011 Produced By Conference.

The three finalists in each category will have the opportunity to screen at the Conference.

Tickets for the Event Sell for $995, it cost $100 to submit BECOMING MAGNUM the 1st Episode to the Event. The deadline for submissions is Wed May 12, 2010 (5 days from now). It'll cost an additional $1,200 to get my Editor to finish it in time, plus I need to get it Scored with Music and have it all packaged together and sent off. Plus, I'll need to pay for Airfare ($500) and Car Rental ($250), and some new clothes ($500) to go to the Event.

At this moment, I need to come up with an additional $4,540 (2 Tickets to the Event. Pay my Editor, Airfare, Car Rental, and Clothes.

I need to come up with $3,290 by Wed. If I'm unable to finish and submit the 1st Episode by Wed, I will still need to come up with $995 x 2 ($1,990) for Tickets to the Event and $1,200 for my Editor ($3,290) asap.
My focus for the next few days is to to finish writing the Opening/Closing Voice Over for each segment and to come up with the $3,290 so I can get myself to the Produced By Conference with BECOMING MAGNUM in hand when I meet with Brian Grazer and all of the other Top Hollywood Producers.

And on getting the 1st Episode finished along with the Music.

Wish me luck,

Mike.

No comments: